Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Really Summer has arrived

I have this joke I tell people i work with that don't live in Texas (and therefore dont know of the oppressive heat). I tell them that in Texas we have 2 seasons: Summer, and Really Summer. And that is basically true. In fact Josh and I joke about 'sweater week' when it gets 'slightly chilly' around december/january.

Its been in the 90's almost every day for the last 2 weeks or so, which means we're officially into the heat of the year. It will peak around August/September, cool slightly in October and then we usually get our first 'cool' front around Halloween.

But I think this 'Really Summer' season i will do just fine. You see, a few days ago my air conditioner seized up for about the 3rd or 4th time. So I phoned up the repair service, had the guy come round, and after discussion it was decided i'd be best served replacing my whole unit - and it cost a tidy sum I must say.

But ever since its been installed I have been delighted! I've had the thermostat set 1 degree colder than I had my older unit, and i get chilly! This new system has a humidity control on it that really makes the cool air feel colder. The good news is that my house has appreciated significantly since I bought it, so in the event that I ever sell the house, i should be able to recover the cost of the new system.

But with such a nice cooling unit, I might not ever leave!

No comments: